CK On the Edge was created in 2009 by 2 local arts administrators with the aim to provide an opportunity for local and regional artists to perform, present or exhibit. The 2010 festival will be our first. The idea first took flight back in 2003 when two friends were employed at the Chatham Capitol Theatre, a restoration undertaken in 1996 and scheduled to open in the late Spring of 2010. The initial idea was to present a one-act festival. However, as the years went by, this idea took flight and developed into a full-blown festival presenting art of all genres that will be accessible to everyone. The stimulus behind this was the community’s completion of a Cultural Master Plan in 2008 which has grown into a major movement to re-brand our community as a cultural hub in Southwestern Ontario. We believe that this festival will stimulate further cultural development in Chatham-Kent as well as attract tourists to the area to join with us in celebration of the creativity we have to offer.
To engage, enrich and build community pride through the presentation of an arts festival that is accessible to all.
To provide a means for local, regional and national artists to develop their craft and present it for the citizens of Chatham-Kent and visitors.
CK On the Edge values the participation of artists by:
- Providing a venue for artists to perform
- Providing professional marketing and technical support for all artists in the festival
- Providing professional development opportunities for all artists in the festival
CK On the Edge values the participation of citizens and businesses by:
- Providing an opportunity for community members to participate as a volunteer
- Providing opportunities for businesses to partner by advertising or sponsoring an event
- Encouraging partnerships that will assist in raising the awareness of our new festival
CK On the Edge will bring artists and audiences together by:
- Presenting a successful arts event
- Providing a supportive environment for artists and audiences
- Presenting a flexible schedule at a reasonable cost